Skip to the content

Reinstate Your Driver’s License in Iowa

A Hardship Driver’s License in the State of Iowa also referred to as a Temporary Restricted License (TRL), is a limited use license issued by the Iowa Department of Motor Vehicles. The temporary restricted license allows you to drive a vehicle while your license is suspended or revoked for a drug or alcohol-related offense. While your driver’s license is suspended or revoked, you may be eligible to receive a hardship license. This will allow you to drive only to and from work, doctors’ appointments, court dates, traffic offender programs, or other state mandatory meetings. While maintaining a restricted driver’s license, the State of Iowa may require you to carry a mandatory SR-22 insurance policy.

We recommend speaking with an attorney about the length of time you will need to carry an SR-22 insurance policy. The typical term is maintaining a policy for 3 years. It could possibly call for the policy to last up to 5 years or more. It is mandatory to maintain the high-risk insurance coverage during the time frame that the court mandates. If the policy lapses or cancels for any reason your license will be suspended, and you typically will have to start the process all over again. The State of Iowa may also require you to install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle and complete a DUI program.

Below we have included information from the State of Iowa to assist you with this process. Drivers with certain types of suspensions or revocations are required to keep and maintain SR-22 insurance. The SR-22 insurance must be carried for a minimum of 3 years following the date of the suspension or revocation and may be required for up to 5 years. New suspensions or revocations which also require SR-22 insurance will restart the requirement from the date of the new action. Cancellation of the SR-22 insurance may result in the suspension of the driving privileges. If your insurance company submits a cancellation or proposed cancellation of your SR-22 insurance, you or your insurance company must submit a new SR-22 form prepared after the cancellation notice.

We recommend you fill out our contact form. Once completed, an SR-22 insurance specialist will call or email you within 24 hours.

Iowa Reinstating Your Driver’s License

Request for Temporary Restricted License OWI Revocation
Request for Temporary Restricted License

The State of Iowa law mandates that every automobile insurance policy sold in the state must have these minimum coverages. Iowa law requires minimum liability coverage covering the following:

  • $20,000 of bodily injury to or death of one person in any one accident
  • $40,000 because of bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident
  • $15,000 because of injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident.

Many drivers find that the right amount of insurance coverage for them may be above those minimums for liability and may also include coverage for property damage in the form of comprehensive or collision coverage.

For additional information please contact

Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9204
Telephone: 515-244-9124 or 515-244-8725
Fax: 515-239-1837

Affordable SR-22 Insurance For The Entire State of Iowa, including:
Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Sioux City, Iowa City, West Des Moines, Ankeny, Waterloo, Ames, Council Bluffs, Dubuque, Urbandale, Marion, Cedar Falls, Bettendorf, Marshalltown, Mason City, Ottumwa, Fort Dodge, and Clinton