Skip to the content

Reinstate Your Driver’s License in Washington

A Hardship Driver’s License in the State of Washington also referred to as An Ignition Interlock Driver License (IIL) allows you to drive a vehicle while your license is suspended or revoked for a drug or alcohol-related offense. While your driver’s license is suspended or revoked, you may be eligible to receive an Occupational/Restricted Driver License (ORL). This will allow you to drive to and from work, including self-employment, WorkFirst, apprenticeship, or on-the-job training. You may drive to school if you’re enrolled in an educational institution and pursuing a diploma, degree, or other certification. If you have court-ordered community service. Going to substance abuse treatment or a 12-step meeting if no transit service is available to you. Continuing your own healthcare, driving to a healthcare provider. Providing continuing care of someone who is dependent on you. Applying for an apprenticeship or on-the-job training. This type of ORL gives you 14 days to apply for these employment programs.

We recommend speaking with an attorney about the length of time you will need to carry an SR-22 insurance policy. The typical term is maintaining a policy for 3 years. It could possibly call for the policy to last up to 6 years or more. It is mandatory to maintain the high-risk insurance coverage during the time frame that the court mandates. If the policy lapses or cancels for any reason your license will be suspended again, and typically will have to start the process all over again. The State of Washington may also require you to install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle and complete a DUI program. Below we have included information from the State of Washington to assist you with this process.

Washington Reinstating Your Driver’s License
Ignition Interlock Driver’s License
Financial Filing (SR22)
Occupational/Restricted Driver’s License (ORL)
Restricted Driver’s License Form

The State of Washington law mandates that every automobile insurance policy sold in the state must have these minimum coverages. The insurance policy must have limits of at least:

  • $25,000 of bodily injury or death of 1 person in any 1 accident.
  • $50,000 of bodily injury or death of any 2 people in any 1 accident.
  • $10,000 of injury to or destruction of property of others in any 1 accident.
  • Required proof of insurance

Any time you drive in Washington, you must be prepared to show your auto insurance identification card to law enforcement. You will get this identification card from your auto insurance company when you buy a policy. The card must include all of the following:

  • Name of the insurance company.
  • Policy number.
  • The effective date of the policy.
  • The expiration date of the policy.
  • Description of the year, make, or model of the insured vehicles, or the name of the insured driver. The word “fleet” may be used for more than 5 vehicles owned by the same person or business.
  • Failing to show this proof of insurance is a traffic infraction. Knowingly providing false evidence of coverage is a misdemeanor.

We recommend you fill out our contact form. Once completed, an SR-22 insurance specialist will call or email you within 24 hours.

For additional information please contact

Phone: 360.902.3900 (TTY: call 711)
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9030
Olympia, WA 98507-9030

Affordable SR-22 Insurance For The Entire State of Washington, including:
Seattle, Spokane, Tacoma, Vancouver, Bellevue, Kent, Everett, Renton, Spokane Valley, Federal Way, Yakima, Kirkland, Bellingham, Auburn, Kennewick, Pasco, Redmond, Marysville, Sammamish, South Hill, Lakewood, Richland, Shoreline, Olympia, Lacey, Burien, Bothell, Bremerton, Puyallup, Edmonds.