Skip to the content

Reinstate Your Driver’s License in Wyoming

A Hardship Driver’s License in the State of Wyoming also referred to as a probationary driver’s license is a limited use license issued by the Wyoming Department of Motor Vehicles. This Hardship Driver License allows you to drive a vehicle while your license is suspended or revoked for a drug or alcohol-related offense, DUI, breath test or refusal, failure to provide financial responsibility, or from carrying mandatory insurance.

While your driver’s license is suspended or revoked, you may be eligible to receive a hardship driver’s license. The limited license will allow you to drive to and from work, doctor visits, and any court date appointments set by the State of Wyoming. While maintaining a hardship license, the State of Wyoming may require you to carry a mandatory SR-22 insurance policy.

We recommend speaking with an attorney about the length of time you will need to carry an SR-22 insurance policy. The typical term is maintaining a policy for 3 years. It could possibly call for the policy to last up to 5 years or more. It is mandatory to maintain the high-risk insurance coverage during the time frame that the court mandates. If the policy lapses or cancels for any reason your license will be suspended, and you typically will have to start the process all over again. The State of Wyoming may also require you to install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle and complete a DUI program.

Below we have included information from the State of Wyoming to assist you with this process.

SR-22 INSURANCE Information from the State of Wyoming

Requirements for reinstating your driving privilege. Once you have completed your suspension period, you may be eligible for reinstatement. Eligibility is determined by the following criteria:

Your suspension period has ended and there are no additional suspendable offenses pending.

If your offense requires the filing of an SR-22 insurance form, you must have filed that through your insurance company. You have paid the required reinstatement fee.

Reinstatement Fee: Wyoming law requires a reinstatement fee of $50 to be assessed for all suspensions, except for nonpayment of child support suspensions which is a $5 fee. Both the $50 and the $5 can be applicable at the same time if the child support suspension coincides with another action requiring the $50 fee.

You may pay the reinstatement fee as follows:

  • In-person – pay the fee at your local driver exam office.
  • By mail – send the required fee by personal check, money order, or certified funds to: WYDOT-Driver Services, 5300 Bishop Blvd., Cheyenne, WY 82009-3340 (the check must include your full name and driver license number and/or date of birth).
  • By phone – contact our office at (307) 777-4800 for instructions on how to complete your payment online.

NOTE: Never send cash through the mail.

Ignition Interlock Program
What is an “Interlock?” An Ignition Interlock is a device that is installed on motor vehicles to prohibit individuals from operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. It requires your breath sample before the engine will start and you are periodically required to provide breath samples while driving. If the device detects an elevated alcohol concentration level, the vehicle will not start.

You will be required to have an Ignition Interlock Device and make an application for an Ignition Interlock Restricted License if you have been convicted of Driving under the Influence of Alcohol.

First DUI conviction with a BAC of .15 or above
Second or subsequent DUI conviction regardless of the BAC level
Circumventing or disconnecting the device will result in additional legal action, driving penalties and additional ignition interlock required time. Anyone assisting with device tampering and/or circumvention may also be subject to criminal and/or suspension action.

Ignition Interlock Restricted License
Once you have received notification from the Department of an ignition interlock requirement, you will need to do the following:

  • Have a Wyoming-approved ignition interlock device installed in any vehicle you plan on driving. The device must be installed in Wyoming at an approved Sevice Center by a Wyoming-Certified technician. The driver must provide a copy of the ignition interlock device installation certificate to the Department.
  • File SR-22 insurance with the Department.
  • Apply for a special “IIR” restricted driver’s license.
  • Pay the $50 reinstatement fee, regular driver license fee and the $100 ignition interlock administrative fee.

An ignition interlock restricted license shall not be issued to any person who is not eligible. An ignition interlock restricted license shall not be issued to any person holding a commercial driver’s license (CDL).

We recommend you fill out our contact form. Once completed, an SR-22 insurance specialist will call or email you within 24 hours.

Wyoming Reinstating Your Driver’s License

Driving Record Request Form
A Guide to Driving Privilege Withdraws
Insurance Verification Implementation Guide
Record Review Request
Application for Ignition Interlock Assistance
Non-Resident Proof of Financial Responsibility

The State of Wyoming law mandates that every automobile insurance policy sold in the state must have these minimum coverages. Wyoming’s mandatory auto liability insurance law requires that anyone driving a motor vehicle must purchase the mandatory minimum limits of liability. Wyoming’s law mandates that auto insurance policies provide the following:

Liability – Minimum Required:

  • $25,000 per person for bodily injury
  • $50,000 per accident for bodily injury
  • $20,000 per accident for property

Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
Insured motorists who are concerned about being in an accident with an uninsured motorist can purchase this optional coverage to ensure their losses are covered.

Medical Payments Coverage or MPC. This optional coverage pays for reasonable expenses you and your passengers incur because of injury in a motor vehicle accident, regardless of fault. Coverage amounts available vary from company to company. You may wish to purchase it if you do not have health insurance, or to supplement any health insurance you do have.

Collision and Comprehensive. Collision insurance pays for damages to your car caused by another vehicle, an object, or a rollover. It’s not required by law, but most lenders require collision coverage for financing. Comprehensive insurance protects you against damage to your own car from perils like fire, theft, glass damage, hail, wind, flood, or vandalism. Comprehensive isn’t required either. If you have an older car, consider dropping these types of coverage to save on insurance premiums.

For additional information please contact

WYDOT Headquarters
5300 Bishop Blvd.
Cheyenne, WY 82009-3340
(307) 777-4375

Affordable SR-22 Insurance For The Entire State of Wyoming, including:
Cheyenne, Casper, Laramie, Gillette, Rock Springs, Sheridan, and Evanston